Monday, October 3, 2011

Shelby Hoover


Summit Leadership Park had many appealing qualities to me. I saw and still see Summit Leadership Park as being a great experience and a great way to get involved. I knew that being part of a community service project with a group my close friends would be a great experience, that we would have an enjoyable time and that we would make an impact on the community. There are so many wonderful perks with being involved in the Summit Leadership Park and I am extremely excited for the upcoming year. Overall, I believe that Summit Park was the best choice for my sophomore year.

Through Summit Leadership Park I hope to gain a lot. Our Summit Group has chosen to work with the Special Olympics and are organizing, planning and instructing a Young Athletes Program. This requires a lot of hard work but the reward is far greater.  As an Education Major, this will be a great way to gain experience in working with children who have different learning types and styles. There is a high possibility that I will have students in my classroom similar to those that I am helping with this program. Next, I hope to gain experience in organizing and planning. I have never planned a project or program as large as this. Through this project, I will be working with people who have experience in planning and organizing such events and will gain insight from these people and from my personal experience throughout the year. Lastly, I also love being around kids and helping them learn and grow. I am hoping to gain great relationships with the kids I will be meeting and helping and am excited to see them learn, grow and have fun.

This experience will have a great impact on my life. With this project, I will gain insight and knowledge in working with children with special needs. This alone will have a huge impact on my future career and give me different viewpoints on my own life and my own strength and weaknesses.

Our project for Summit Leadership Park is with the Special Olympics where we will be doing a Young Athletes Program. This program is designed for kids ages three to seven to give them a chance to get involved in different sports before they enter the Special Olympics at the age of eight. So far, we have accomplished a lot in the planning of the program. We had a slight set back because of the Joplin tornado but we are now underway with the project. This has also been our only major struggle that we have had this far. We were able to meet with our Community Correspondent a few days ago and discussed many elements of our program. We now have volunteer forms and paperwork and complete lesson plans for our weekly program. We also decided that the first program that we will be doing would be a four-week program, which helps us fit everything into the busy fall schedule. We have booked the Weiser Gym for four weeks on Thursday nights for about an hour and a half. We also received some contacts for individuals that have experience in running the Young Athletes Program and contacts for places where can give us ideas of children that would be interested. All we need to accomplish now is contacting schools and daycares for children that would be interested and finding volunteers. So be on the look out for that!
Overall, it is going to be a great year and I am very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment